Pages

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Cleansing Cabbage, Kale & Lentil Soup

The 'Better Half' recently went on a work trip which left me on my own for a few evenings.

I know this might sound bad but I can't be bothered whipping up a beautiful tasty meal just for me each night.
When I cook for others, I try to be impressive with my meal creations, and can be quite critical of myself, sometimes loosing the enjoyment of preparation. So I relished in the simplicity of making the most easiest one pot health wonder that should see me through any nuclear war!
It didn't have to impress,
It was
Low sodium,
Fat free,
Gluten free,
Super easy
And even Vegan!

Surprisingly this was a very tasty, comforting soup that was easy to tuck into after work and  had me feeling AMAZING after 3 nights!

Try this 'Souptox' if you need a sneaky 'quick cleanse' - Its okay, you don't have to eat it every night, or three times a day for you to feel 'clean'.
And so adaptable.  Let me know your adaptions..

Cleansing Cabbage, Kale & Lentil Soup
Makes 3 Litres

1x Onion
6 x Kale leaves
2 x Cups of  Lentils
1/4 Red Cabbage
1 x Tin Chopped Tomoato
1 x Massel Vegetable 'Salt Reduced' stock cube 2 1/2 Lt Water
1 x tsp Olive oil
Fresh or dried chilli to taste
White Pepper

I used  Simon Bryant's dirt(y) pure grain red nugget lentils  
(You know I'm all about local).

Add olive oil to a large pot, heat and stir in roughly chopped cabbage, onion, then throw in chilli and pepper to taste - or even leave out!
Once cabbage has softened a little, add 2 litres of water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add lentils, roughly chopped kale and tin of tomato. Simmer until lentils are tender and then your satisfying low calorie din dins is ready.


 

Super good stuff!

KALE

Kale is high in iron. Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef. Iron is essential for good health, such as the formation of hemoglobin and enzymes, transporting oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth, proper liver function and more.

 Kale is high in Vitamin K. Eating a diet high in Vitamin K can help protect against various cancers. It is also necessary for a wide variety of bodily functions including normal bone health and the prevention of blood clotting. Also increased levels of vitamin K can help people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.

 Kale is filled with powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants, such as carotenoids and flavonoids help protect against various cancers.

 Kale is a great anti-inflammatory food. One cup of kale is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids, which help, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.

 Kale is a great detox food. Kale is filled with fiber and sulfur, both great for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy.

This Winter I have been adding Kale to my diet most days. I have not caught one cold yet! I swear by this super food - when others at work are sick,  I will eat a  kale lunch  for two days,  I can almost feel the bugs being repelled from my system!

x









No comments:

Post a Comment